Friday, December 28, 2012

Menemen

















Menemen is the perfect summer dish. I remember my mother would make this for breakfast where as my husband's side would strictly have it for dinner. I think it only differs depending on what part of Turkey you are from. I even remember my mum making it with minced meat where as my husband's side says it should be strictly without meat and plenty of onion and pepper sweet and hot mixed.

Ingredients:
5 soft juicy tomatoes peeled and diced
1-2 eggs (depending on your liking)
6 sweet and hot peppers chopped roughly
2 onions diced
2 teaspoon oil
salt

Method:
1- Heat oil and saute the onions and peppers on low heat.
2- Add the diced tomatoes and salt. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes. If you find that your tomatoes don't have the real red color you may cheat and add 1/2 a teaspoon of tomato paste. The tomatoes should be cooked until the liquid has reduced.
3- Create pockets with a wooden spoon and crack in the eggs cooking to your liking.

This is best served with un sliced Vienna bread where you break the bread off dip it in and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment